Saturday, September 14, 2013

A week in Delhi


9th and 10th of this month were an off in office for the Ganesh Chaturthi festival, which is celebrated with vigor in this part of the country. Hence, I saw this opportunity to go home to meet family and finish some important chores back home. In the meantime, I got some time to sketch when I was out with a few friends. I went to Nizamuddin Basti one fine morning. It was more than sunny and a good day to sketch. I didn't plan to sketch on the trip though. I just wanted to see the monuments in the Nizamuddin Basti, which sadly, I always had neglected. This time around as well, I could only see a masjid, the main Nizamuddin Dargah and mosque, Mazar-e-Ghalib, and the Nizamuddin Baoli. There is still a lot to explore in the Basti and I plan to go there again.

I only sketched the Mazar-e-Ghalib (the grave of the most famous poet of Delhi) and the Subz Burj, which stands on the traffic island on one of the Mathura Rd. intersections. The reason why Nizamuddin area is full of tombs and memorials, is because most of the folklore, whether it be the Mughal emperor Humayun (Humayun's Tomb), or a barber (search Nai ka Gumbad) wanted to be buried as close to the Sufi Saint (Hazrat Nizamuddin) as possible. Therefore, creating a sort of necropolis. All in all, this place is a must visit.


Here are the sketches of Subz Burj, Mazar-e-Ghalib and Fligh number 6E-335, Delhi to Goa.

Subz Burj

Subz Burj (Notice that the plinth is absent. I figured that drawing the plinth would restrict the fluidity of the sketch)

Mazar-e-Ghalib

Mazar-e-Ghalib

Back to Goa


No comments:

Post a Comment